Monday, May 7, 2012

This Little Light of Mine

From a Press Release, April 26, 2010

On Monday, April 23, 18-year-old Alex Smith spoke on a community panel at a screening of “Bullied,” telling the packed room about the bullying his boyfriend experienced at school. What no one in the room yet knew, including Alex, was that his boyfriend had already taken his own life. 
This death is the latest known suicide of a gay teen in Northern Utah. One official says, off the record: “It happens here about once a week,” but then quickly adds, “but officially, you know, it doesn’t happen here." 
OUTreach is hosting a community response: “A Community Stands up - Northern Utah Addresses LGBT Bullying and Suicide.” It will take place May 1st, 6:30 pm at the Ogden Amphitheater, 343 E 25th ST, Ogden, UT. The purpose of the event is for the community to stand in solidarity with (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) LGBT youth, to speak out and express grief and outrage at yet another loss of life in Northern Utah and to witness for the need for immediate change in schools, churches and society. Until ALL youth are loved and accepted in their homes, able to attend school without fear of bullying, and know that their lives are worth living, this community will continue to demand change.
Numerous community leaders, educators, parents and youth will speak out for acceptance and love for LGBT youth, including active members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. At the request of Alex Smith, a candlelight vigil will be held at the conclusion of the event. 
OUTreach Executive Director Marian Edmonds notes: “The youth I work with all know either a victim of bullying, the loss of a friend to suicide, and most often, both. These youth are bright, creative, and loving, yet too often face daily abuse from rejecting families, bullies at school and the loss of their church family. It is time for local schools to incorporate proven techniques for eliminating bullying and homophobia, for churches to preach love and acceptance, and for parents and families to love and accept their children. Each loss of life is a loss for all of us, and it must stop now.”
I spoke as a member of the original "Bullied" panel.

I cried when we learned that Alex's boyfriend had taken his life because he felt living was too much to bear.

I helped to plan and direct the event, A Community Stands - Northern Utah Addresses LGBT Bullying and Suicide.
















I participated in providing music for the event with Sam and Jen.





















I shared in the feeling of this community.  There was so much love and unity and oneness of vision -- this was truly one of the most "temple" kind of experiences I have ever experienced.  I know God was with us.  God was in us.















I never wanted to become an activist.  I have fought the call because I have been afraid.  I won't be afraid anymore.  God blessed me with a big voice, a big laugh, and a big heart.  I'm using them to speak up and stand on the side of love.

My message has never been one of destruction.  I do not wish to destroy the faith tradition in which I was raised.  I am a Mormon.  I am gay.  I am a man.  I am a musician.  I am a human who isn't merely being.  My message is that we are all christened Children of God.  We are all called to love.

I am a bridge.  I am a light.  I am a prayer.

So are you.
"All Photo Credits: Only In Ogden"













I'm Gonna Let It Shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment