Thursday, April 26, 2012

Response to the Most Recent LGBTQ Teen Suicide in UT

I've spent so much time since Tuesday thinking and meditating and praying. I'm--


I've been speaking up for equal rights and telling LGBTQ and allied teens that it gets better and posting youtube videos and writing articles and being all around pro-LGBTQ rights for about a year and a half now. I have worked repeatedly on Sister Dottie shows. I feel like I've used my voice in standing on the side of love. 


I know we're doing absolutely life-saving work with LGBTQ community in UT. I know we've got incredible mountains to climb in helping the establishment understand why we're fighting for our freedom to marry and the blessing of living our lives out in the open. I know that the work and the advocacy is definitely making a difference, even in the rooms and towers of the church office building; however, I've never felt such a blow as when I learned of Jack's suicide. 


I have no idea who he is -- I've never met him. I only knew of him when his boyfriend -- another panelist who spoke with me against bulling Monday night -- spoke of him at the library. I felt like we lost so much when we lost him, just as we lose so much when we lose any of our brothers and sisters to suicide. These kinds of atrocities against us have to be stopped!


How do we give hope to these kids who have been taught that they deserve the treatment they're suffering? who have been taught that this is the price you pay when you come out? that this is the way that churches and their gods mete out punishment to those who don't walk the "straight" and narrow?


How do we remind our bullies that if God is love, then love is God? How do we urge them to believe in our interconnectedness, of I am in you and you are in me, of the fact that we are all christened Child of God? How do we teach people to see others as they see themselves? We have to keep raising our voices and waving our hands and marching our feet: I know we have to do that, but it feels, at least right now, at 12:21 on April 26th, that it's not changing quickly.


My heart is sick. My mind is weary. My soul is so incredibly angry. Right now, I don't know how to say "it gets better" unless I'm screaming it. I've got to find a way to temper all of my angry words with some gentleness, or else the other side won't be willing to listen to what we need to say.


I keep seeking for, praying for, asking for answers.


Please come and show your support for everyone who is named Child of God.  http://www.facebook.com/events/288709127881212/

No comments:

Post a Comment