Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Renovation

From a Facebook message written to an old friend, May 31, 2011.  


You wrote about striving to rewrite your life. I think that's what we're all doing every day, trying to learn better so we can know and do better. It's an amazing undertaking, isn't it? And isn't it wonderful that we can do it?!? I thank whatever God there is for the opportunity to renew what is good in ourselves everyday and to rebuild whatever has been broken.

Sometimes, I think of my life as a stained-glass window. I spent years trying to build it according to the picture that Someone Else had in mind. It was a beautiful window, but it wasn't mine. Some things happened, and my window broke. For a while there, I didn't have the energy to do anything but sit and bemoan all the broken glass around me. It took some time, but I began to see all those broken pieces as the tools and pieces I needed to build a new window--organized from the old materials, but built in an even more beautifully authentic way. I hope that's what I'm doing, building a new window, full of light and color and shape, that can be finally revealed as mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment