Monday, November 28, 2011

Who Would've Thought?

I grew up collecting My Little Ponies, playing Cinderella with my mom (who, at my behest, always played Prince Charming--God will bless her) and singing showtunes including "Think of Me" (which, by the way, I sang much, much better than What's-Her-Name Brightman) and anything recorded by Judy Garland, Julie Andrews or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

















I watched the old, black and white Tarzan films with my father, inching closer to the t.v. to examine the intriguing yet unsettling bulge under Tarzan's loincloth.  I tended to gravitate toward friendships with girls rather than boys and preferred the swings, balance beams and gymnasts' bars to soccer, base- or foot- balls at recess.














I sported a New Kids on the Block backpack (I remember my cousin, McKenzie, sticking up for me while we waited in line for the school bus and some kid was making fun of me) and pink pajamas in first grade.


















I was in love with The Little Mermaid (read: supah-crush on Prince Eric) and told my preschool teacher she needed a dress-up like this:


















Needless to say, when I finally did come out about four years ago, nobody was surprised.

1 comment:

  1. I knew......and I agree with you about what's her name Brightman...why does anyone like her??

    ReplyDelete